Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Sad Tidings...

Hey there, team.

I’ve some really challenging news to report, some that some of you already know, some that is likely new and completely out of left field.


On Sunday, our music director Rob Fishel passed away after a very short battle with a very aggressive health challenge…unexpectedly and gobsmacking in every way.  The day that we canceled rehearsal he’d gone into hospital with hand tremors and disorientation, only to find out he, according to the little that was shared with me, had an exceedingly rare condition occur in his brain stem that accelerates quickly, and, again to the best of my understanding, is almost always terminal.  He was lucky enough to be able to spend his final days at home with his wife and many friends/members of the Portland Arts community…of which he was an ever-present part for the better part of two decades.  I was lucky enough to have worked with him on one of his earliest projects here at IBWHS, and he’ll be sorely missed.


What does that mean for us?  1) If there’s anyone who needs help processing this, or just someone to talk to, please reach out to me, to your counselor here (who’ve been informed and offered their help), to, well, anyone; 2) Matt, Nico, and I met about how best to try and fill the massive hole Rob’s passing leaves in the show, and more details will be coming to you very soon about that; 3) If anyone wants to send thoughts/words to Rob’s surviving partner, I’d be happy to facilitate that.


No one is more taken aback with this than me.  It’s taken me a bit to figure out how to share this with all of you, and I appreciate your patience.  Let me know if there’s anything more you need from me.  Oh, and make sure to tell those you care about, well, just that.


Best thoughts, all…


-J. Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment